Outside Financial Aid

Listed below are a few organizations that fund language study abroad. Students should contact the following organizations directly regarding fellowship opportunities, guidelines, applications, and deadlines.

Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowship (if available at the student's home university)
The Department of Education, the granting agency, permits students holding these fellowships to attend the Center. Applications must be made at the student's home institution. These scholarships typically cover IUC tuition charges and include a stipend to help defray living costs.
David L. Boren Graduate Fellowships (National Security Education Program - NSEP)
Boren fellowships enable U.S. graduate students who are highly motivated by the opportunity to work in the federal government to add an important international and language component to their education through specialization in area study, language study, or increased language proficiency. Contact NSEP/AED, 1825 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20009 http://nsep.aed.org.
The Blakemore Foundation
The grants typically cover tuition, basic living costs, and transportation. Applications and information may be obtained from Blakemore Foundation, Attn: Griffith Way, Trustee, 1201 Third Ave, 40th Floor, Seattle, WA 98101-3099. Web: http://www.blakemorefoundation.org
Any fellowship awarded by the student's university, college, or department that may be used for study abroad.

The Center does not participate in the guaranteed student loan program and is unable to certify such loan applications. A student graduating with a BA or BS but admitted to a graduate school should seek assistance from that graduate school on loan certification. Each year, several IUC students ask the IUC administrative office to help them obtain deferrals for educational loans they have outstanding to other institutions. We are willing to help in such efforts when possible, and many of our students are successful in obtaining such deferrals. There have, however, been cases in which the deferrals are denied, and the loan officers' logic is not always clear. IUC students should, therefore, be aware that deferrals might be denied by loan agencies.

↑ Page Top

Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies