Admission to Summer Intensive Kanbun Course
Qualifications for Admission
To qualify for admission, an applicant must
- be engaged in specialized professional work or an academic field of study for which proficiency in reading kanbun is required;
- possess an advanced level of proficiency in Japanese language and have knowledge of classical Japanese grammar;
- have an understanding of the grammar and sentence patterns of modern Japanese, and be able to read and write at least 1,000 kanji as well as hiragana and katakana.
Admissions to the Inter-University Center are made without regard to gender, age, race, color, disability, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnic origin.
Selection of Students
Students are selected for admission by the Center Summer Kanbun Course Selection Committee based on the following considerations:
- A student meets the conditions for admission listed under Qualifications for Admission above.
- An evaluation by the Selection Committee of a student's statement of purpose and objectives contained in the PURPOSES section under GENERAL INFORMATION in the Application for Admission form.
- An evaluation by the Selection Committee of the information contained in a student’s Language Evaluation Form.
Please note that enrollment in the Center Summer Kanbun course is limited and it may not be possible to admit all qualified applicants.
Tuition for the summer Kanbun course is . Fees include all textbooks and other instructional materials. Attendance fees do not include living or housing expenses, or travel to Japan.
Application and Admission Procedures
- Application is available
online. Deadline is , . Early submission is encouraged.
- Admission decisions will be announced by e-mail not later than , .
- The tuition fee is payable by check directly to the IUC Stanford administrative office in U.S. dollars before the beginning of instruction on , . Checks should be made payable to Stanford University.
- Any admitted applicant who decides not to enroll in the program should immediately notify the Center.
- After the application period, any questions regarding attendance should be sent to the Center via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students who require a visa to enter Japan should contact a Japanese Embassy or Consulate directly. If proof of admission to the Center is required, please contact the Center by e-mail.
Please be aware that housing arrangements are the personal responsibility of each student. Information about how to locate and reserve these apartments is provided upon request upon acceptance to the program.
The IUC retains the right to cancel or modify the program at any time, for reasons that may include, but are not limited to, natural disasters, emergencies, or health and safety considerations. Program modifications shall not alter the student's obligation to pay tuition.
↑ Page Top
Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies